Monday 28 March 2011

Marula Jelly

A few weeks back by mother returned from the Kruger Park with bags of Marulas. Since we had no idea how to make Marula Jelly and could not reach my grandmother on her phone, we turned to the Slowvelder's suggestions .
I think my mother added her own ideas along the way, but here are the basics:


1. Wash the fruit and then slice them in half without separating the two parts.




2. Place all the fruit ( we had about 2 kg I think?!) in a large pot and cover them with water. Then boil it for about 20 minutes. The water will look pale yellow now.  


3. Strain the water and the fruit through a cloth, we put one over a sieve, which worked quite nicely. 



4. Then put the juices back in the pot and add sugar ( for every cup of juice add a cup of sugar).
5. Let the sugar dissolve over a gentle heat. 
6. You could add some lemon juice for flavour, we added about 2 small lemons worth. 
7. Turn the heat up and boil for another 20 min. 
8. Then check if the contents have jelled enough, my mother throws a teaspoon full in ice water and sees if it forms a little ball. You could also place some on a plate and see if it is not runny. 
9. Sterilize your glasses.
10. Fill in the contents, bottle it up and let it cool. 





It tastes a bit like honey :)


.

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff :) - thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello. I'm a director of Japanese TV show. May I download your "Marula" photo of this page? Because I want to explain about Marula in our TV program.
    My name is Takeshi Yoda.
    The station is TV Shinshu Broadcasting Co.,Ltd.
    http://www.tsb.co.jp/

    ReplyDelete