Thursday 14 June 2012

Green Gates

This was taken at a restaurant in Plettenberg Bay at the beginning of the year.

I'm not a vegetarian. But I do try to eat less meat. I don't particularly like the taste, and since I haven't killed the animal myself, I don't always feel entirely right when eating meat. Debates about needing to eat meat and humans being omnivores, or debates about not needing to eat meat, or any animal products for that matter, don't really interest me that much. Eat what you like. But know what you are consuming, where it comes from, what it is made of. I mean, the occasional McD burger where you could be eating anything really is fine, but in general one should know where the food you eat is coming from. I read somewhere recently that 40 years ago, the temperature needed to burn a human body was much lower, simply because these days all the chemicals we consume need a much higher temperature to be destroyed.

I just think that decades ago meat was much more appreciated, that the life lost was more conscious to the one eating it. Now, you go into a supermarket and buy a steak/some ribs/chicken schnitzels/or whatever, and you don't see it as an animal, as something dead. Eating death.



No comments:

Post a Comment