Tuesday 5 July 2011

Treat Me

As a present, I got a voucher to go to a spa treatment. I was envisioning some sadistic massage to knead out all the pressure in my shoulders. But the lady informed me that the voucher was only valid for a facial, so for a facial I went.

Now you must know, I hate facials. I don't like someone washing and cleansing and plucking at my face. I don't like someone with perfect skin and perfect make-up looking at my pores through a magnifying glass and pointing out its impurities.

However, this facial was suuuuuuuuper-relaxing. Some soothing Enya in the background, some towels to keep me warm and then all the lady did was massage my face, neck and arms with different lotions and potions. Everything smelled edible. And the lights were dimmed down so I did not feel like I was in some laboratory, ready to be poked and prodded. I don't really understand why women (mostly) go for facials, but this was very enjoyable.

Now comes the part I hate about going to any salon or spa or beauty palace ( yes, palace, not place). They always, always, always want you to buy more stuff! At the hairdresser it is some special shampoo. At the beauty palace it is a whole new range of facial products. It does not matter where I go, they always want me to buy stuff that I neither want nor can afford. I like going to Clicks and buying my (to me) already expensive L'Oréal Elvive when it is on special. I like earning my little points and getting a discount voucher in the mail. I like being able to go into a store and choosing a product, without someone hassling me about what to buy and shoving the most expensive one in my face. I want to scream: "Jeeeeeez Louise people, I am a student! NO MONEY HERE!"

I can understand, sales people need to sell stuff. But aren't we already paying for the haircut, the pedicure or the massage? One day, when I have divorced for the 5th time and the settlement allows for it, I will buy your silly shampoo. But please, notice I am wearing Mr Price and come with a voucher. Please do not torture me with long explanations about the excellence of your product, because I cannot afford to buy it and all I can think about is what excuse I will tell you to leave as soon as possible without being too rude.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment