Wednesday 7 January 2015

Orange sky

Breakfast of Champions.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 
Breakfast Club, Breakfast at Tiffany's, He stayed for Breakfast, Breakfast in Paris...

The list goes on as breakfast becomes a social and cultural institution. People eat in the mornings, simple as that. Or at least grab a muffin and a large coffee on their way to work. On weekends people brunch, Mimosas in hand. 

And yet I am not a fan. Never have been, never will be. When my parents were separating my grandmother came to live with us, and she would have none of my nonsense. Everyone has to eat breakfast, me included. For a while there I ate yesterday's leftovers, preferring pasta to corn flakes or toast. Then I progressed to weetbix, and from there I discovered instant oats, preferably the strawberries & cream flavour. 

Somehow, my grandmother forcing me to eat in the mornings has remained with me, so now I do it without thinking too much about it. The best thing is overnight oats, where you marinate an equal amount of oats (with a tablespoon of linseed) in water or milk (so 1/2 cup of oats in 1/2 cup of milk) the evening before, and the next morning you have a delicious porridge. Add some yoghurt and fresh fruit or compote and boom, it's going to be a good day. 

My other favourite is muesli, the crunchy kind. In store it is superexpensive and has raisins, which I also don't like that much. By comparison, a 500g pack of oats costs 0,39€, so I now make my own muesli. It is easy peasy and you can adapt it as you want (or with whatever you have at home). 

You need: 
- 1/4 cup  honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil

- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup bran flakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (or almonds)

Alternatives:
- other nuts
- cranberries
- dried apple
- linseed
1. Preheat your oven to 150°C.
2. Heat the honey, sugar and oil over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. 


3. Mix the dry ingredients together before adding the sugar-honey-oil mix. Mix well, ensuring that the oats are evenly coated. 
4. Spread the mixture on greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring one after about 15 minutes. 


5. Let the muesli cool. As it cools it will harden and little muesli clusters will form. 
6. Store in an airtight container. 

Tadaaa. muesli. Easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment