Friday 4 May 2012

I call it art



Pieter Hugo, Owen Knibbs, Observatory, 2005
I read I'm sick of pretending, by Glen Coco, yesterday and must agree that often, I have no idea what art is. In first year, the one lecturer asked for a definition of what art is, and some people were fairly certain that they knew, that they could define it, dictionary-style, in a paragraph. Three years later, I am more clueless than ever. What is art? What is it not? Sure, I know about different movements and ideas that were more present during a specific period in history, but I don't know if simply calling something "art" is enough.


These are some of my favourite works, simply because I like looking at them.

Jean-Etienne Liotard, Das Schokoladenmädchen, 1744
Edouard Manet, Gare Saint-Lazare 1873

File:Vincent van Gogh - Branches of an Almond Tree in Blossom (F671).jpg
Vincent van Gogh, Almond blossom, 1890

Wolfgang Tillmans, Peaches VI, 2001 

Pablo Picasso, Two crossed hands, [sa]



No comments:

Post a Comment