Saturday 3 December 2011

Snickerdoodles

Just say it : Snickerdoodle. SSSSSSnickerdoooodle. It sounds like something the Moomin's would bake and have for lunch. It is just a basic cookie rolled in cinnamon: perfect for Christmas. Since I can remember, we have been baking cookies for Christmas. When we were little, my mother would make a dough, let us stencil out different shapes with cookie cutters and when they were done, we would decorate them. 

I think it is a German tradition to bake cookies for Christmas and then you distribute little cookie-plates to friends/family/neighbours and in the end you can compare whose cookies are the best. My mother bakes Vanille-Kipferl, Heidesand cookies and something with chocolate. My sister and I then contribute our own favourites or help with my mom's. I like baking different ones each year, so last year Snickerdoodles were it and since we are leaving for the coast on Monday, they were the quickest to make. 

The recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart and smittenkitchen

2 3/4 cups flour
2 ts cream of tartar
1 ts baking soda
salt
2 sticks ( = 230g) butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 ts cinnamon
2 eggs

Pre-heat your oven to 200°C
Mix the flours, cream of tartar, baking soda and a pinch of salt. 
Add the butter, 11/2 cups of sugar and the eggs. 
Leave the dough in the fridge for an hour to chill. 
Roll the dough into little balls and dip them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture ( combine the cinnamon and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar). 
Bake the cookies for 12 min. 

My dough was a bit dry this year, so I added a swig of milk, and I forgot to turn the heat up to 200°C, so they took a bit longer. Also, mine remain quite compact and don't spread like those in the images on the different websites, but they still taste like Christmas :)










No comments:

Post a Comment