Monday 24 October 2011

37°

This is what the car's thermometer read when I stopped in front of the gym. To go swimming. I don't know who would hit a treadmill in this heat. You burn more calories eating an ice cream outside than running on a machine with the air-con blasting in your face.

So I swim my little laps and squeeze my wet legs back into the skinny jeans and throw my bag over my shoulder and start walking to the car, since I just want to drop the bag in the boot and head down ( the gym is on the upper level, whereas the shops are downstairs) to Woolies.

But my flip flops are wet and I am excited about buying food but suddenly I am not walking any more and my foot hurts like hell. I am sitting in a parking spot, in shock about how I got there and about how much my foot hurts. Also, I know there are two security guards nearby who must have seen me fall, but none of them has come to help me up.

I hobble to my feet, proceed to jump on the non-hurt one to the car and decide it is all not so bad; I can still go to Woolies. Foooooood.

So I drive the car one level down, park about 50m from the shop's entrance and get out. After two meters I hobble back, sit in the car and cry because it hurts and no one can help. Normally I am all about female empowerment and helping myself and standing on my own two feet, because I can. But today, fuck, I can't.  The stupid thing is turning blue and needs ice, so we head home. I detest it when my head and my body seem to not be part of the same entity.

Apparently a heat wave has hit the city. I think it is just summer. It is the threat of warm nights and tossing in your bed and being woken by mosquitoes flying around your room and clothes being too hot and everything being drenched in sweat and basically days being on fire. I like spring, but summer, and 37°, no thanks. Heat makes people function less than they already do, so no.

However, it does give me a reason to try Oprah's Moscow Mules:


Servings: Serves 1
Ingredients
  • 1 ounce vodka
  • 1 tsp. sugar syrup
  • Fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup ginger beer
  • 1 sprig fresh mint
  • 1 slice of lime
Directions
In a copper mug, pour vodka over ice. Add sugar syrup and lime juice. Top with ginger beer and stir. Garnish with mint sprig and lime slice.

Tomorrow will be 35°. I will have to stop by the bottle store. An invalid needs her medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment