Tuesday 5 April 2011

iLife

Sometimes I wish there was an iLife app and I were an iPhone and the application would run my world for me. It would calculate the best possible outcome of every situation, every encounter, every friendship, every relationship, every decision I would ever have to face.

It would be the ideal Life ( iLife, get it?! I feel so smart right now).

But then again, if everything is ideal, it is mediocre. There is nothing special. Everyone lives. Happily?Unhappily? No, it would be a median of joy across the board. I am moderately happy. I am content.

If you had the choice of living in a constant state of contentment for the rest of your life, or live like Sisyphus, pushing the boulder up the hill only to see it rolling down again, what would you choose?

In  "The Myth of Sisyphus", Camus asked the question that if one acknowledges how futile life actually is, should one commit suicide right then and there, because after all you have no influence over it, or accept its absurdity and push that boulder around forever.

This reminds me of the part in Olive Schreiner's "Story of an African Farm", where the hunter has fleeting sighting of the bird Truth, and spends the rest of his life searching for it, leaving the Valley of Superstition (I think it was, could be wrong here) to find it. And only when he is taking his final breaths, only after much suffering, does one feather from Truth fall on his chest.

Initially I thought, what a stupid story, but is rather beautiful.
You can get it for mahala here.

So forget the iLife app. Stupid me. Stupid idea.
Suffer people! Suffer in order to appreciate true moments of happiness in between the mediocrity of the everyday, and suffer to be able to say later on that you have truly lived.



Oh joke of the day : what is green and blue and hates gingers?



The world.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment