Wednesday 18 May 2011

Votela

I hope everyone used their democratic right to vote today. I know it is only municipal, but maybe this is more important than the national elections? After all, we do not all reside with the president. He has not issues with trash collection, with pension payouts, with shelters, with hospitals and clinics, with parks, with Metro Police or with roadworks. What does the president do? Represent the country overseas? Make new laws? Get married? But he does nothing really for the everyman. Correct me if I am wrong here, I have a strong dislike for politics and laws and what one may or may not do, so it is highly possible that my opinion is quite ungrounded. But by Zuma's last couple of years of rule, he does not do much.

My friend wanted to do something today. I asked if he went to vote. He said no. Vote or don't, that is your choice. But then do not complain afterwards that something is not to your liking. And he does not. He does not complain. He just accepts. This is the indifference in Generation Y that just pisses me off. We care about ourselves and nothing more. We care about clothes and music and movies and things that are replaceable, but we care nothing about the next generation. Everybody campaigns for climate change and global warming and saving the rhinos, but in the end we do nothing. We buy the R10 bag at Woolworths. We throw money at problems that require action.

And that is why I did not want to meet my friend. Everytime I see him, I have the feeling he judges me for studying, for working hard to get my degree. I don't go to Soweto on Fridays in a taxi because I don't feel like it. Not because I am afraid to. I don't get wasted and drive because I like to live. I don't read Nietzsche or Marx or whomever is cool to the coolkids because I don't care to. I live the life I want the way I want, so please, person, stop thinking your eccentricities make you interesting to anyone but yourself. A cliché can only survive for so long. Go hang around with your coolkid tjommas and live your coolkid life and spend it trying to be some Jay-Jays clad ideal.

I voted.If nothing changes, that is ok. If something does, that is fine to. I don't go around chaining myself to trees and recycling my toilet paper, but this is a start. If this generation just set their mind to it, I am pretty sure we could collectively save the world. We could all wear tiaras and capes. But if the mememe of it all does not change, neither will the world.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment